China: Did you know?
- Ottawa, Canada is a Twin City of Beijing.
- Mao’s Mausoleum, which houses the preserved body of Chairman Mao a la Lenin style, also contains an exact replica of the Great Helmsman’s corpse made entirely of wax. It is unknown whether the wax or real body is on display at any given time.
- Mandarin is commonly used in the modern China. It is one of the five working languages designated by the United Nations. The majority of the 55 other ethnic groups have their own languages. There are also many dialects around the country. As a written language, Chinese has been used for 6,000 years.
- Beijing is situated in the northeastern region of China and comprises an area of over 50 miles/80 kilometres. At the center of the city is the Forbidden City, which is surrounded by a series of “ringed” districts. Currently there are 6 ring roads around Beijing.
- Chinese lucky numbers are 2, 3, 6, 8 and 9. Unlucky numbers are 1, 4 and 7 (4 and 7 sound like the Chinese word for death).
- The daily English newspapers in Beijing are the China Daily and People’s Daily.
Like this destination? You may also be interested in...
All content © 2011-2018 Great World Getaways unless otherwise noted