January 10th, 2012
The Feb 12 race combines an eight-km cross-country ski jaunt, a snowy 10-km run, a five-km skate on the Olympic-sized outdoor ice oval, another five-km run, and the race ending 800-metre swim at the Prince George Aquatic Centre.
- The Iceman was developed to showcase Prince George’s cross-country skiing facilities and other sports venues.
- The race begins at the Otway Nordic Ski Centre, which boasts 45 km of groomed trails, a dog trail, a two-storey cabin, a biathlon range, and a warm lodge.
- Running was actually only incorporated into the Iceman as a mode of transportation between the different venues.
- The skating portion is held on the 400 m track at the Prince George Outdoor Ice Oval.
- The 5km run through a nearby suburb leads the participants into the final leg of the race – swimming – in the Aquatic Centre.
- The event has historically occurred over the course of one day, but there is hope in the next 25 years it will become part of larger winter celebrations, starting with the 2015 Canada Winter Games.
For more information, visit www.pgiceman.ca
Like this destination? You may also be interested in...